Hair system washing tips
The human hair used in our hair replacement systems are clearly no longer growing, and therefore, needs extra help in retaining vitality, and colour especially.
Whilst you don’t necessarily have to purchase costly and/or specialist hair care products, you must, at the very least, take some time in selecting the right shampoo and conditioner for your hair system. Unfortunately, cheap 2-in-1 chemically laden products will do your hair system no good at all.
Whether in the chemist, supermarket or online, search for products with as many natural ingredients as possible, ideally paraben and SLS free (these attributes are usually clearly labelled), as such ingredients will dry your hair and strip colour prematurely.
It’ll beneficial to source products specifically for coloured hair, as these can prolong and revive the hair system colour.
Do not wash your hair system too frequently: twice a week should suffice. And always follow your shampoo and condition with a UV protection spray, or leave-in conditioner. Further advice on looking after your hair system can be found on our blog.
Hair system washing guidelines:
1. Apply a suitable shampoo to dry hair first. This will help remove any previous product build-up.
2. Wet hair with warm water.
3. Re-apply a small blob of shampoo, rinse, then apply a conditioner. Tip: Gently use the pads of your fingers (not your fingertips or nails) and slowly and carefully rub in.
4. Once a week, leave your conditioner in for an extra few minutes, to allow for deeper conditioning and moisturising.
5. Once a month, use a deep-conditioning treatment, readily available in stores or online.
6. When complete, gently pat your head dry.
7. Allow your hair system to air-dry for as long as possible, before applying a styling product.
8. You can blow-dry your hair system, as long as you have used a heat protection spray beforehand.
If you would like advice further advice on how to look after your hair system, or guidence on which products may be best for you, please feel free to give us a call and we will happily guide you through the options:
Telephone: 0800 014 8085 (Monday-Friday: 9am - 5pm)
Telephone: 740-337-4470 (Monday-Friday: 9am - 5pm)