Taking care of your new hair is a very important part of the self maintenance process. Unlike natural growing hair, the hair used in hair replacement systems is no longer being nourished by your natural scalp oils. Therefore, it is important to regularly condition and moisturise the hair to ensure it remains soft.
We have compiled a list of Do's and Don'ts that will help increase the longevity of your system and ensure you are always looking your best.
- Gently brush your hair prior to washing to de-tangle.
- Shampoo your hair regularly with moisturising sulfate-free products. We would recommend washing every 2 to 3 days, which will prevent the hair from getting dried out due to over shampooing and conditioning.
- Don’t forget to deep condition. Once a week you want to deep condition your hair system. Leave the conditioner on the hair for approximately 10-20 minutes and rinse. This extra TLC will give your hair an extra moisturising boost.
- Gently blot hair dry with a towel (DO NOT RUB) to prevent unnecessary tangling of the hair.
- Spray with a leave-in conditioner.
- When styling, use a wide vent brush with round tips.
- Do use a heat protectant. Heat styling does damage hair, so if you want to make your hair last, we would advise use a heat protection spray to prevent your hair from drying out.
- Do use hair sprays, gels and waxes, etc. to style your hair. However, where possible use alcohol free styling products with natural ingredients, which will minimise colour loss and prevent dryness.
- Don't pull or yank at any tangles as this may cause breakage, resulting in hair loss.
- Do not brush the hair vigorously when wet. Gently brush with a wide vent brush.
- Don't shower or shampoo your system, engage in heavy exercise or enter hot, humid conditions (such as a sauna) for at least 12 hours after you have bonded your system. You can, of course, do all of these things, but expect a shorter bond time.
- Don't be tempted to leave your hair system bonded for too long, as adhesive can seep out of the perimeter or through the base (lace systems), which can soak into the hair causing the hair to stick/clump together. This is very difficult to clean and will adversely affect the overall appearance.
If you would like advice further advice on how to look after your hair system, or guidence on which products may be best for you, please feel free to give us a call and we will happily guide you through the options:
Telephone: 0800 014 8085 (Monday-Friday: 9am - 5pm)
Telephone: 740-337-4470 (Monday-Friday: 9am - 5pm)